Florida’s Atlantic Ocean: Fort Lauderdale & Hollywood
Copyright © by May DeLory
FLASH THIS! There’s no doubt about it Canadians continue to love Florida! Canada remains the number one international market for 2012, delivering a 7.3% increase in 2012 over 2011 in Canadian visitors to the Sunshine State.
Princess Cruises, one of the largest lines offering sailings throughout the world, chose Valentine’s Day to announce their newest ship: The new Royal Princess www.princesscruises.com ship will debut June 2013 with Season of Mediterranean Cruises. The 3,600-passenger Royal Princess is the first of two new-generation ships for Princess which are being built by Fincantieri at their Monfalcone, Italy shipyard. The Royal Princess ship’s inaugural program of 12-day Grand Mediterranean cruises between Barcelona and Venice sets sail on June 23, 2013. I’ve learned some additional new features found aboard Royal Princess will be an over-water SeaWalk, a top-deck glass-bottomed enclosed walkway on the ship’s starboard side extending more than 28 feet beyond the edge of the vessel, and the similarly unique cantilevered SeaView bar, featuring cocktails with unbeatable water views. Something romantic couples will enjoy is the Royal Princess adults-only pool surrounded by seven plush private cabanas that appear to be floating on the water, two additional pools, a dazzling water and light show, an expanded version of Princess’ signature adults-only haven, The Sanctuary (check out The Sanctuary on the Crown Princess with its breathtaking sea views and Zen-like ambiance), and the popular poolside theater, Movies Under the Stars.
Royal Princess will sail on her inaugural voyage — a seven-day Iberia cruise from Southampton to Barcelona, June 16, 2013. The atrium signature space will be 50 percent larger than on the newest class of Princess ships and will showcase a number of brand new features, including Bellini’s Italian cocktail bar, Ocean Terrace seafood bar, a gelateria, and Celebrations, a new gift shop. It appears as if Royal Princess will offer quick bites and light meals for those passengers busy with all that a cruise ship offers and do not want to leave in the middle of fun just to eat. Now this is not to say that you will not be able to get a first class white tablecloth meal. Time-tested and very popular old favourites return with the International Café, and Sabatini’s Trattoria–two of my favs ’cause first class Italian coffees and ice creams, panini sandwiches, salads, and pastries are available. I sailed with Crown Princess and found these areas quite romantic and offered a respite from other areas of the ship that may be quite busy. More ocean views from eating spots are on tap in Royal Princess. If you want to get a bird’s-eye view of the new atrium go here: www.princess.com/royalprincess
Here are a few suggestions for getting hot, hot, hot…or, cool, cool, cool…depending on your mood. Don’t forget Princess Cruises has a Department of Romance to answer all your questions pertaining to love and marriage and how to celebrate a very special occasion.
Valentine’s Day. February 14th. Crown Princess Romance Cruise
For some of us, the date strikes numbing fear in the mind and soul. It seems everywhere one looks, someone is declaring his or her love in extraordinary and expensive ways. What’s a guy or gal to do? No one likes to be upstaged as it were. But you know…most couples in love forget about the big bang show off and simply fall in love all over again with sweet and tender moments of appreciation.
Most of us in these financially lean times shudder at the prospect of hiring a plane to skywrite a loved one’s name in romantic prose across the blue yonder, renting a billboard to declare undying love and devotion or making a video to express special words of love. These days even the cost of going to the movies takes a second hard thought. With all this at hand it’s becoming near impossible to make a lasting impression on our beloved for fear of falling into a financial abyss.
Well, help is on the way in the form of simply using what’s at hand, and being creative…using your noodle! Renewing vows, getting married or celebrating a honeymoon, birthday, anniversary…even getting the BIG promotion is far more affordable on a cruise than most other avenues. While you’re saving up your pennies to take your next cruise or your first, here is my list of suggestions for getting the attention of that certain and extra-special person in your life without breaking the bank.
1. After the two of you have shared that special bubble bath and exchanged sweet nothings while lovingly rubbing each other’s back (just think of the sexy spots on a cruise ship to rub a dub dub in a tub), read aloud romantic poetry to each other. Or, if your taste runs more to the erotic, read aloud sexy passages from a hot romance novel.
Surprise is a good element here when trying to infuse the moment with romance. Begin your reading with a kiss of your own choosing — lustfully passionate, or sweetly invigorating. A kiss is a kiss….
2. In the days leading up to Valentine’s Day or to your Valentine’s Day cruise, do chores usually reserved for the other person in your life. Discreetly, of course. Don’t be obvious. When confronted as you doubtless will be with the for the most part suspicious evidence of your deeds, simply smile and say something to the effect of “sweetheart…it wasn’t any trouble to run to the store in sub-zero temperatures to get the milk you forgot….I love you. You’re worth it.” You’re on your own when it comes to explaining why you don’t make a habit of your thoughtful behaviour. At least keep up this new romantic attitude until a few days after the cruise.
3. Think of all the things you love about your special one. Write each thought on a pretty piece of paper, lace-trimmed or in the shape of a heart cut from vibrant red silk or any elegant piece of material. You may even wish to purchase a weeks’ worth of sexy undergarments and write on these the week leading up to the cruise. Place these love notes in appropriate places around the house, a few at a time, or, perhaps one per day, the week leading up to Valentine’s Day. The really romantic surprise note will be delivered on the cruise on Valentine’s Day if you’re lucky enough to be on a cruise. Of course if you and your partner are in a position to leave on a cruise on short notice…by all means leave the presentation of the cruise tickets to near the end of this romantic interlude. Somebody will be really surprised and happy to get away from it all and sing the praises of “no moe dirty dishes!”
3. Bring to mind all the wonderful times the two of you have shared together. Concentrate on the emotions these thoughts excite whenever you have a spare moment. Hold them dear. Look at photographs of the two of you together sharing tender or really fun moments. Positive thinking does wonderful things for the soul, as well as the heart. When your partner gives you that “you know what” look, don’t be surprised if he or she has picked up on your positive thoughts. Romance is but a mere warm and tender thought away!
4. Prepare dinner as much as you can for your partner the week leading up to Valentine’s Day. Bring out the special china, or simply give the usual stuff a good polish to show you care, and make an extra effort to set a romantic table: a single rose as centre-piece. Candles cast a sultry and romantic mood. As for menu, make it simple. Do not wear yourself out cooking on this night of all nights (Valentine’s Day). Treat yourself kindly and you’ll be able to treat others in the same fashion. Makes for romantic times, no?
5. Not flying to your cruise port but taking the train? Yup, very good idea for romance of a different kind. Make like Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint in Alfred Hitchcock’s North By Northwest: she can say the same lines as Eva Marie Saint said in a sultry voice to Cary Grant when he sat beside her on the train in the dining room. Here are some websites for ideas: www.viarail.ca www.britrail.com www.orient-express.com www.vacationscanada.travel www.vacationsbyrail.com
P.S. I hope the two of you are on a cruise so no one has to cook…just enjoying all of life’s little passions.
Royal Princess voyages for 2013 are open for bookings now.
Please call Singles At Sea at 800-362-5918 to speak with a Singles Specialist.
Cruise from Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
www.watertaxi.com Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood in Florida.
Here’s a list of Hollywood, Florida area stops via Water Taxi. (a water taxi is an small open boat with a canvas top that makes several stops along Florida’s Intracoastal Waterway in Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood. Check out restaurants, events, shopping and a lot more on the water taxi. The boat holds about 30 passengers. You won’t want to miss Millionaire’s Row.
The 80 Days of Holidays Downtown calendar.
Rent a cabana for a few hours on Princess Cruises’s private island in the Bahamas. The ocean is but a few feet away from your front door. Cabanas are painted in primary colours, furnished and ideal for a most romantic picnic by the sea. Crown Princess sailed to the Western Caribbean for a Valentine’s Day cruise; the itinerary included Cozumel, Mexico; Grand Cayman Island in the Cayman Islands; Roatan, Honduras; and in the Bahamian island of Eleuthera is Princess Cays–the private Princess Cruises’ island. www.princess.com http://bit.ly/Qu6gMo
www.tristababy.com Ecofriendly diaper bag products
(Princess Cruises private island)
Western Caribbean islands.
Master Chef Alfredo Marzi is a graduate of the world-renowned Paris, Ecole Culinaire Francais August Escoffier. During a 10-day cruise you’ll find at least 50 different kinds of pasta dishes. Chef Marzi chooses local ingredients for a fresh dining experience on board Crown Princess. Be sure to attend one of Chef Marzi’s culinary demonstrations
If you are staying in a suite, try an elegant breakfast in Sabatini’s dining room…or any other time for one of the finest dining experiences at sea!
Learn to write romance in rural Tuscany in romantic Italy.
Look for the feature article in Zoomer Magazine, KISS & TELL, April 2011 magazine issue. Note: KISS & TELL is only available in the printed copy of the magazine and may be SOLD OUT. www.zoomermag.com
Text and Photos Copyright © by May DeLory. All Rights Reserved.